The MITRE Corporation
Gaithersburg, MD, United States
Join MITRE as a Publication and Web Designer to assist in producing online publications for the nation’s only cybersecurity-focused federally funded research and development center (FFRDC). This FFRDC supports the National Cybersecurity Center of Excellence (NCCoE) in furthering the adoption of cybersecurity solutions across industry and key infrastructure sectors.
Be on the cutting edge of enhancing cybersecurity and protecting national information systems. Join a collaborative communications team to assist in the design of the NCCoE’s website and its online publication library. This position is designed for a recent college graduate looking to dive right in to an immersive experience, producing excellent work while learning new skills every day.
The NCCoE is located in Rockville, Maryland. You will assist in maintaining and developing the NCCoE website and participate in quality assurance and control by creating web and PDF versions and formatting Word documents. This role requires excellent time management, technical savvy, attention to detail, organization, and the ability to prioritize in a fast-paced and demanding environment.
• Web design: Use HTML, Markdown, and CSS to create maintain, design, and develop pages on the NCCoE Drupal website.
• Static site creation: Publish online guides following established process: use Markdown and ReStructured Text (RST) syntax for formatting documents in plaintext (similar to LaTeX); use Gitlab version control to track changes and issues in web versions of documents; work inside the Sphinx documentation framework to generate high-quality, responsive web publications; and post final documents to the public website in Drupal.
• Content Management: Post new publications, announcements, and updates to the NCCoE website. Able to provide forward thinking suggested improvements to overall website architecture.
• Publication formatting: Review and correct Word document formatting to match the NCCoE’s style guide and template. Advise authors on best use of styles and techniques to create efficiencies in existing process.
• PDF creation: Export Word files to PDF and conduct a quality-control check to ensure that styles and functionality transferred correctly and are consistent across publications.
• Innovate and transform projects: Research new communication tools and processes to amplify communication and increase efficiencies. Offer suggestions and lead efforts to improve website and publication design and user experience. Assist in in developing new ideas to help the NCCoE address today’s most pressing and complex cybersecurity challenges.
• Other duties as assigned: Manage the online publication library and stock photo collection, update provided website content, and generate website analytics.
• Bachelor’s degree in Web Design or related field
• Skilled in the use of HTML and CSS
• Basic web design
• Content management
• Expert-level knowledge of Microsoft Word and experience in formatting templates
• Able to juggle multiple priorities and adapt to changing requirements and evolving needs
• Outstanding time management and organizational skills
• Excellent attention to detail
• Excel at working both independently and as part of a team
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to interact comfortably with employees at all levels in an engineering environment
• Ability to analyze a problem or process and suggest improvements
• Willingness/ability to learn new technologies
Preferred qualifications or willingness to learn:
• Familiar with command line tools
• Git version control
• Drupal Content Management System
• Familiar with RST/Markdown
• Fundamentals of design imaging
• Familiarity with web analytics
Security clearance not required
The MITRE Corporation
Website : http://www.mitre.org
MITRE is a not-for-profit organization that operates research and development centers sponsored by the federal government. We operate FFRDCs—federally funded research and development centers—which are unique organizations that assist the United States government with: Scientific research and analysis Development and acquisition Systems engineering and integration We also have an independent research program that explores new and expanded uses of technologies to solve our sponsors' problems. MITRE's Sole Focus Is to Operate FFRDCs MITRE is chartered to work in the public interest. We have no commercial interests. We have no owners or shareholders, and we can't compete for anything except the right to operate FFRDCs. This lack of commercial conflicts of interest forms the basis for our objectivity. We also have the ability to acquire sensitive and proprietary information from the government and industry to inform our work. These organizations are able and willing to share data because they know we won't use it for a competitive advantage. Moreover, because we operate multiple FFRDCs, we foster a culture of knowledge sharing. We apply what we learn from addressing one sponsor's challenges to similar issues faced by other federal agencies. This means when sponsors engage with us, they have access to all the minds of MITRE. (Video) MITRE, a strategic partner working with industry and academia to apply science, technology, and systems engineering, enables the government and the private sector to make better decisions.