Somerville School Department
Somerville, MA, United States
Part Time, Education, Bilingual, Design
ANNOUNCEMENT OF VACANCY FOR THE
2018-2019 SCHOOL YEAR
PART TIME VIOLIN/VVIOLA TEACHING ARTIST
El Sistema-Inspired After School Program
East Somerville Community School
The El Sistema program at the East Somerville Community School is seeking a part-time Violin Teaching Artist for an El Sistema inspired, intensive after school music program. The program provides exceptional ensemble-based music instruction to students in grades 2–8 in string and full orchestras, sectionals and musicianship classes. Our goals are to promote and build character development, positive citizenship and increased musical and academic achievement.
Applicants should be motivated, inspiring individuals who have strong leadership skills and believe in the capacity of an El Sistema program to affect social change.
The Violin Teaching Artist will provide group instruction to advancing violin students in grades 5–8, five days per week (2:00pm–5:45pm) and will be supervised by the Director of El Sistema Somerville.
• Teach middle school and elementary group violin classes/sectionals on and assist string and full orchestra rehearsals on Fridays
• Develop and teach engaging middle school group violin lessons that:
o Establish routines and encourage development of strong fundamental skills on the violin
o Incorporate a variety of strategies (movement, ear training, music reading, bowing/plucking) and activities (exercises, games, demonstration, listening, etc)
o Maintain excellent classroom management
o Adapt to the needs of students at various levels and with various learning styles
o Encourage peer teaching
• Collaborating closely with the Artistic/Middle School Coordinator and all El Sistema faculty to achieve program-wide learning goals
• Maintaining a positive and nurturing classroom environment
• Setting and maintaining high standards for student behavior and music learning
• Enforcing program rules and policies
• Excellent musicianship and artistry as a teacher/performer
• Strong understanding of violin/viola pedagogy
• Strong commitment to El Sistema’s philosophy of social change through music
• Experience working with children from diverse ethnic and economic backgrounds
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills
• Self-motivated and willing to collaborate in a team-teaching environment
• At least 2 years of prior teaching experience preferred
• Bachelor’s or equivalent degree in Violin or Viola Performance or Music Education
• Bilingual in English and Spanish a plus
Terms of Employment:
• September 4, 2018 – June 19, 2019 – During the scheduled school year
• Up to 18.75 hours per week
• Hourly rate based on experience
Position Reports to:
• Director of El Sistema, Somerville Public Schools
Applications are only accepted online through School Spring.
Please do not mail or email resumes. Only resumes that are submitted through School Spring will be considered.
Should you need assistance with the online application process, please contact the Human Resources Office via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Somerville Public Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Somerville Public Schools actively seeks applicants with diverse backgrounds. Grade level and content licensure is required when applicable. Dual licensure including SPED, ESL, ELL, or bilingual licensure and/or proficiency in a language or languages other than English is preferred.
Welcome to E Somerville Community!
The East Somerville Community School (ESCS) is a diverse school in an ethnically rich neighborhood. ESCS lives its motto, Every Student Can Succeed, by preparing students to achieve at high levels in their next stage of education, while applying the skills of life-long learning. The dedicated staff members provide regular education and special education services through a team approach, which combines high quality, challenging classroom instruction with academic support. ESCS offers the best qualities of a large school with a welcoming and respectful atmosphere that makes each student feel valued and part of a community.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Somerville Public Schools is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws.
Citizenship, residency or work VISA in United States required
There are no application questions required for this job posting.
50 Cross Street
Somerville, Massachusetts 02145
Phone: (617) 625-6600
Somerville School Department
Phone : (617) 625-6600