Web designer's main function is to design and develop a striking and feature-rich website targeting its audience in a perfect way. Depending on experience and designation, a web designer needs to attend meeting with clients, understand their requirements and carrying out the work as per the desired specifications. If at a senior position the web designer guides his team members and supervises work He also checks and approves the work before it is finally sent to the client. His work may also include upgrading the already existing designs. The websites must follow usability, design and SEO guidelines to achieve successful results hence a designer must keep himself updated about all this. They sometimes also need to make intro animations and flash pages. They are responsible for improving the overall look of the site, making them attractive by using various types of animations, graphics and fonts. Creating a user friendly web site is the key function of the web designers. They need to work in coordination with the client and team members.
Bachelor's degree in arts along with a certification or diploma in designing software programs is a must. Most people who desire to become web designers either have a degree in computer science or marketing related degree. Many web designers try to learn web designing skills on their own and start designing the web site for clients. Real world experience matters to a large extent while getting admission in the companies. For getting practical experience you need to take up some certification course. Web designing is self supportive job, i.e you can learn the skills on your own and apply it in your work. The learning process never ends.
- You must be able to meet deadlines. So he should possess good time management skill to work as per client deadlines.
- Be able to face challenges and should have good problem solving skills.
- Be a good listener. The web designers are required to listen to their clients attentively, so that they can match up their expectations.
- Develop new and unique designs for the clients.
- Be completely dedicated towards the work.
- Have good knowledge on the computer software's that are used for designing the web sites. Knowledge on languages like HTML or java is a must.
- Possess good oral and written communication skill.
- You must be comfortable working with operating systems such as windows, Linux and many more.
- Be ready to keep yourself upgraded with the new technologies so as to provide the best web design solutions to your clients.
- Should know the working of the web browsers.
The survey researches conducted have shown that the field of web designing has become a very popular career option. Every year more and more people are coming in this profession that provides a good amount of job satisfaction and high salary. A web designer can start their career as an assistant designer responsible for designing few elements of the web page. As the experience increases you may be promoted to positions like project managers, design directors. Design director is the main person, responsible for ensuring that the design created as per the client's requirements.
The web designer after working for few years attains seniority that helps them to carry out intricate designing functions. They may further develop expertise in the field of marketing and communications with interests and skills. One can also do freelancing or open their own design firm once they have enough experience and confidence.
Web designer job is one that has immense scope of career advancement. It is found that the average salary of web designer with experience less than one year $30,000 to $40,000. The salary increases with the experience and the education qualifications of the web designers. The salary of web designer with experience more than 20 years is between $50,000$ to $75,000. With proper focus on the different aspects of the job, you can surely excel in your web designing career.