Work on Your Eye for Design
First of all, if you want to find design jobs titles in your future, start out by working on your eye for design. If you are interested in becoming an interior decorator, you probably already have a fairly good eye. You can probably see what looks great in a room and the things that could be improved upon. However, even if you are great, you can continue to work on your eye for design. Take note of beautiful interiors, read design magazines, and even visit historical homes for inspiration.
Get an Education
Getting an education can definitely be important if you are going to become an interior decorator and land designing jobs in the future. If you can, go to a college and get an associate’s degree in design. If that is not an available option, consider working to educate yourself. Learn about various types of decorating and elements that are involved in decoration as well. Some of the things you should study include space planning, furniture, wall coverings, styles of decorating, use of light and color, and how to use accessories.
Start Practicing on Your Home
You are going to need practice in order to get involved in a career as an interior designer. So why not start practicing on your own home? Most people in this field start out with experimenting in their own homes. Work on making inexpensive changes to rooms. It will give you some great experience.
Volunteer to Do Some Design Jobs
If you want to build up more experience, then volunteer to do some design jobs. You may have friends or members of your family that could use some advice or some help decorating their homes. Offer some help for free that can help you build up your experience.
Have a Great Portfolio
Landing design jobs titles is going to require a great portfolio. This is a collection of work samples. Photos are going to be the most important part of your portfolio, so make sure that whenever you do a job you take photos before and after you are done. Have a photo album to show off some of your best jobs so prospective clients can see them. Also, consider having letters of recommendation in the portfolio as well.
Tips for Finding Top Design Jobs
If you are looking for top design jobs, you may know it is not always so easy to find the fabulous job that you want. Here are a few tips that can help you find excellent designing jobs.
- Tip #1—Network with Other Professionals. First of all, you should make sure that you network with other professionals in the industry such as brokers, home-development professionals, architects, and even real estate agents. You want them to know about your skills so they will recommend you for jobs in the business.
- Tip #2—Offer Referral Bonuses. If you already have some clients, offer them referral bonuses if they refer you to any friends or family members they have that need a job done. You can offer a dollar amount or even a percentage off their bill if you end up doing a job for someone whom they refer to you. It is a great way to get new design jobs.
- Tip #3—Use School Connections. Old school connections can also be very helpful when you are trying to find top design jobs. When you attend alumni events, make sure that you do some networking. Also, in the newsletter make sure that you have some announcements so classmates will know what you are doing.
- Tip #4—Look in the Corporate World. When you are trying to find design job titles, take a look in the corporate world. There are many jobs out there in the corporate world. You may be able to design the look of a new chain of stores or you may land a job designing a new office. There are many excellent opportunities available if you look for them.
- Tip #5—Become Part of a Professional Organization. Becoming part of a professional organization can also help you find the designing jobs that you are interested in. Such organizations include the American Society of Interior Designers. This will help you meet even more people in the same field and you can have access to postings for jobs that are in the journals associated with the organizations.